The elusive muse shows up when we least expect her to, and never when we beseech her to. She treads softly upon us in the small hours of the night and colours our dreams.
Muse in Pocket, Pen in Hand is where four writers seek their stories, their voices, their muse, and let their words and hearts roam freely on the page.
Find out more about us below, and follow our Pinterest board to see all of our writing prompts.
Joyce hails from the tropical island-city of Singapore, where she spends the perennially sunny days writing YA novels and short stories. Since graduating with a degree in English from the National University of Singapore, she has won a nationwide novel-writing competition organized by the National Arts Council and published her YA contemporary romance, LAMBS FOR DINNER (Straits Times Press, 2013). She subsists on green tea and baked pumpkins, and blogs about books, writing, and TV shows at www.thewritesofpassage.wordpress.com in between writing her next novel. She can also be found on Facebook, sharing one too many baby videos, and indulging in her obsession with all things pretty on Pinterest and Instagram. Her writing has appeared in publications like Cosmopolitan Singapore, The Straits Times (Urban), Yahoo! Singapore, and ZCOOP.
Becky is terrible at writing bios so, instead, here’s a list of 10 fun facts about her.
1) She divides her time between Boston and Cape Cod, and can’t ever live away from the ocean. She tried once; it was a disaster.
2) She wrote her first novel at the tender age of 13. It was a monumental fail. Like, 600 pages of fail. But then she wrote another, and another, and another. Nothing like practice, right?
3) She has been drawing ever since she could hold a pencil, though experience has taught her that it’s better to ask to draw on other people’s walls than to assume it’s okay. She’s tried nearly everything, but colored-pencils hold a very special place in her heart…and in her wallet.
4) Coffee is a life-force. Seriously.
5) She’d prefer a vegetable platter over a box of candy any day.
6) She once flew a helicopter from Boston to New Hampshire.
7) Spiders are her nemesis.
8) Her pet parrot goes by Carmie or Bug, depending on the day, and graciously learned to imitate the sound of the fire alarm to wake her owner up in the mornings.
9) She once dyed her hair a “temporary” shade of purple. It was supposed to last two weeks, three at most. It lasted three years.
10) She’s still trying to convince her fiancé how wonderful a farm of fainting goats would be. Becky can be found on her blog where she’s still trying to come up with things to write, or on Pinterest and Instagram, where she chronicles her stories, all things pretty, and her latest passion, Project Kindness.
Meredith is a writer and art historian who loves to obsess over books, films, TV shows and music. She writes adult historical fiction and is currently working on a series set during the 17th-century Scottish Civil Wars, as well as a stand-alone set at the end of the American Revolution. Her other passions include archaeology, whisky, traveling, staring off into space and/or daydreaming, baking, and trying not to squeal too loudly when she sees a dog. Originally from the US of A, she now lives in London and has just finished her PhD in Venetian art history. You can read more about her work on her blog, and follow her on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, where she posts about feminism, books, and other lovely things (like dogs).